Ideas on Spending Quality Time as a Family
With all the rush, rush, rush leading up to the holiday season, I tend to feel like the the end of December and beginning of January is my time to decompress. I look forward to doing very little, and spending as much time as I can in my pyjamas.
That said, I have to remember that kids are on school break, and have been working hard all term, looking forward to spending time as a family at the holidays. I want my daughters to enjoy their school breaks, and have warm memories spent as a family to look back on.
I’ve compiled a list of low-key things we can do with our families over the break. Low-key meaning: we don’t need makeup, much advance planning, or to beat any crowds. Hope you find this helpful:
- Draw, play dough, or other artsy craft. Your home is probably covered in glitter, so now is as good a time as any.
- Work on a puzzle. Doesn’t require much talking, or thinking, and definitely doesn’t require pants.
- Bake treats together. Or make treats together. You’ll want snacks for the movie anyway, right?
- Did someone say movie? And treats? Cuddle up on the couch and watch a few family faves.
- Have a fort building contest! Each person makes his/her own. Kids may not notice you sleeping in yours.
- Work on your family tree. Kids can draw & write names while you regale them with stories.
- Have a scavenger hunt! Bonus: throw on a few items that are truly lost in the hopes they turn up.
- Go skating. This requires a bit of effort, especially if your skates aren’t sharp, but is so much fun!
- Have snow? Awesome. Build a snowman together or a whole snow family! Make snow angels.
- Go to the park. Play structures are just as fun when kids are outfitted in snowsuits and mitts.
- Play soccer baseball. You’ll laugh out loud trying to score and run in winter boots.
- Go for a nature hike. The world is beautiful, especially when covered in a blanket of snow.
- Go for a walk at night and vote on which house has the best holiday decor!
- Snowball fight! Enough said.
Hope my little lazy list inspires you! Have anything to add?
Photo Credit: Getty Images