Disclosure: Mom Central received a Marpac Dohm-NSF to facilitate this review. All opinions are our own.
Getting a good night’s sleep is critically important to our overall health and well-being. Not only does it make us feel refreshed and ready to take on the day, but there are even studies that show that a good night’s sleep can help with our physical health and weight management. While we learn more and more about just how important sleep is, it seems there are increasingly more distractions that can prevent us from catching our optimal amount of zzzs. Whether we have children who don’t sleep through the night or find ourselves over-stimulated from our smartphones, television, or busy lives in general, it’s sometimes hard to ease into a relaxing night’s sleep.
A solution that I’ve found that really helps me get a good night’s sleep comes from Marpac, the makers of the original sound conditioner. The Marpac Dohm-NSF is a compact device that offers a rush of air, known as “white noise,” in several speeds and frequencies, so that you can find the perfect volume and tone to help you relax. Twisting the unit so that certain air holes are covered or opened offer different volumes is easy to do. Turning on the Dohm as I’m preparing for sleep offers a calming sound that helps distract me from any ambient noises around my home, and takes my mind off the distractions of the day. I’ve been using the Marpac Dohm for about a week and have found myself having much sounder sleep than I had without it!
For the Kids
Have a young child who has a hard time falling asleep? Marpac offers a The Dohmie Serious Sleep Baby Bundle, which includes a Dohm sound conditioner, “Sleep 101” tips from the National Sleep Foundation, and an original storybook called “Buddy the Bee Finds Hiz Zs” – a cute bedtime adventure about a bee who can’t find his “zzzs.”
The “Sleep 101” guide offers specific tips developed for children of certain ages (ages 1-2 months, 3-11 months, 1-3 years, and 3-5 years old). Here are some general tips for parents from The National Sleep Foundation on how to set good sleep habits:
· Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day.
· Create a relaxing bedtime routine to wind down before bed (such as turning on a Marpac Dohm).
· Keep electronics outside of the bedroom.
· Exercise regularly and eat healthily.
· Get out of bed if you are not sleepy and do something relaxing in dim light. Return to bed only when you are sleepy.
· If you are having problems sleeping, talk to your pharmacist to see if any medicines you’re taking might be keeping you from sleeping.
· If you consistently find yourself having trouble sleeping or feeling tired during the day despite adequate time in bed, talk to your healthcare professional.
Win a Marpac Dohm-NSF!
Marpac is offering a lucky Mom Central blog reader the chance to win Marpac Dohm-NSF (valued at $49.99).
To enter, leave a comment below by midnight EST on May 7, 2014 on what your favorite trick is to get to sleep. The winner will be selected randomly and notified by email.
* You must be 18 and over to enter and a resident of the US. By entering into our giveaway, you must have read and understand our giveaway rules.