Tips for healthy Super Bowl snacking and a weight wise chili recipe
Susan’s Weight-Wise Chili Recipe
- 1 lb of 97% lean ground beef or turkey or firm tofu, drained
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1-28 ounce can tomato puree (no salt added)
- 1-15 ounce can each kidney beans, garbanzo or white beans, and pinto beans-rinsed and drained
- 3 small-medium baking potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups water
- In a large, nonstick saucepan over low-medium high heat, heat olive oil. Add garlic and cook until just softened.
- Add the onion and pepper and cook 2 more minutes; then add the ground meat or crumble in the tofu: cook about 5 minutes.
- Drain off fat if using meat; add pureed tomatoes, canned beans, potatoes, seasonings, and water.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for approximately 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- For thinner chili, add a cup of broth, wine or water.
- Serve with a tossed salad.