About 7 months ago, I committed to getting fit once and for all. I kicked a few indulgent habits, and established some healthier ones in their place. Today, I’m smaller and feel healthier than I have ever been. My clothes no longer feel constricting, I enjoy getting dressed now, and I feel vibrant and alive. I’m so happy I (finally) made the decision and stuck with it!
Some tips that I learned along the way:
- Don’t aim to work out every other day. Aim for every day, and it will work itself out to about every other day when things that you can’t avoid come up!
- Don’t cut anything completely out – if it’s something you love, or look forward to, enjoy it. Just don’t go overboard. If you do, cut back elsewhere (for instance, cutting back on carbs in favor of a few cocktails at a party).
- Have lots of fresh produce on-hand. Wash, prepare, have it handy for when you need to snack.
- If you’re the one who makes most of the meals, your family will eat healthier along with you – win-win!
- It *will* get easier: exercising, lifting weights, choosing to forego a treat, reducing portion size – all of it. It’s only hard when you first start, and it all gets easier as time goes on.
- Goals really help – I try to set a fitness goal I can be “training” towards every few months. 5K races are good for this. Helps keep me on track.
Do you have any tips to share to make a lifelong commitment to health and fitness a bit easier to swallow?
Featured image photo credit: grinvalds/Thinkstock