What could be sweeter than honey for your honey or more celebratory for Valentine’s Day than champagne? The Honey’ Board’s recipe for this decadent fondue combines both.
A fondue pot makes a romantic gift for the foodie in your life, too!
Honey Champagne Fondue
(Courtesy of the Honey Board)
- 16 oz. Swiss or Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1-1/4 cups brut (dry) champagne, or sparkling wine
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- Toss cheese with cornstarch and dry mustard to coat; reserve.
- In a heavy pan or fondue pot, over medium heat, melt butter. Saute shallot and garlic until soft, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add champagne and bring to a boil. Slowly add reserved cheese mixture, a little at a time, stirring constantly, until cheese melts.
- Stir in honey and lemon juice; stir until smooth and continue to simmer 2-3 minutes more. Season with nutmeg and pepper.
- Serve immediately; keep warm.
- Crusty bread cubes (French, Rye, Pumpernickel)
- Granny Smith apple slices
- steamed broccoli
- mushroom caps
Check out more recipes from the Honey Board. You can also find the Honey Board on Twitter, Facebook and their new blog, Straight from the Hive. (Full disclosure, I helped name the blog in their contest.)